Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Reflections

Reflections are deceiving!  We never see in our reflection the reality!  We never think we are thin enough, beautiful enough, young enough, etc.  How do we see the truth?

For example, my jeans weren't fitting right (too big), so I had to go buy some new ones.  It was time to move to size 5/6 from 7/8, but I almost didn't even buy the new jeans.  Why?  Because of what I saw in my reflection!  I stood there, holding up the size 5/6 jeans, thinking about how small they looked, and that there was no way I would even be able to pull those things over my hips!  I almost put them back on the rack and left the store.  I had to urge myself to go into the dressing room to try them on, and even once in there, I'm telling myself that there is no way these jeans were going to fit!  Sure, I KNEW that the size 7/8 I was wearing was too big...the butt was saggy, I was pulling them up every 5 minutes...but looking at these little jeans in my hands, I'm left believing that these jeans were not big enough!  I get to trying them on...FINALLY.  They slide over the hips with ease, but I tell myself, "Well, I still have to button them, and THAT isn't going to happen!"  To my surprise, they button with ease.  I stand there looking in the mirror, in shock that I don't even feel stuffed into these jeans...that this is REALLY my size!!

This was a week ago today, and since then, I feel like I'm wearing a new pair of glasses.  Why?  Because now when I look in the mirror, I see a suddenly slimmer me...all because these little jeans fit.  It's kinda funny, how different people can look at the exact same thing, and see something completely different!  We are our own worst critics.  Maybe we all just need to look at our reflections a bit differently...tell our selves BEFORE turning to that mirror..."I'm beautiful!!!"  Say it 50 times before looking in the mirror if you have to!  I can promise, if you change your thinking before you look at your own image, you will see something different than you saw before.  For me, it was a little pair of jeans.