Friday, October 19, 2012

GLUTEN FREE AND TASTY?

Okay, so I may be a little late in the game here, but I finally decided to check out My Fit Foods yesterday. There is one by my gym. I've known it was there by the gym, but never knew exactly what it was. I was thinking it was something like GNC or whatever. Yesterday, my curiosity got the best of me, and I looked it up online while eating my salad at McDonald's. Gluten-free, healthy meals? What was this about? so I decided to go in and see what this place was about. Before me stood several refrigerators...NOT freezers...full of gluten-free, healthy meals! These things are prepared DAILY, and you simply need to pop them into a microwave for a couple of minutes, and BAM...gluten-free, healthy, tasty food! I decided that I would swing back by after the gym (because they are open until 9:00 p.m.), and grab something for lunch today and the weekend. I picked up some stir-fry tenderloin, and Hawaiian chicken...oh, and a gluten-free protein cookie for a snack. Total cost, about $24...$24 for 3 meals (as the chicken was a double portion) and a snack. That came out to about $7/meal, if you figure most protein cookies are not cheap. I just got through spending about that much McDonald's for a salad and an iced tea...a salad, mind you, that probably really didn't have quite the nutritional balance of the meals I just bought, and I can tell you, wasn't really all that satisfying! So, today for lunch I had the stir-fry tenderloin...OMG! The beef was so tasty and tender...and it was a larger portion of meat than on my salad the night before. This was served with converted brown rice and a spicy vegetable medley of carrots, green beans, pineapple, and onion. I am seriously looking forward to digging into that chicken, now! I will admit...as much as I've been trying to bet back into being good again, I haven't been doing so well. My biggest problem is I'm always on the run! I don't have a lot of time to cook, and when I do, I get tired of eating the same thing every day for a week. This place fixes so much! They have a microwave right there in the store, so, for example, on Wednesday nights when I normally grab some fast food while I'm on the run to my evening function, I can swing by and grab a tasty dinner! Also, on days when I have to drive into the office, I can swing by after the gym and grab a lunch for the day, and I don't have to eat the same thing over and over!