Wednesday, April 18, 2012

As My Mind Wanders...

Yes, sometimes...like while I'm driving and observing the world around me...random thoughts just come to mind.  Like recently...since my poor little Subaru STi now has a clutch issue we are chasing (not to mention it has over 100,000 miles on it), I decided to go ahead and buy by new "daily driver" and keep my STi as a play toy (and one which will only go up in value because it is a limited production year that everyone wants).  I have been eying the Subaru Forester XT for some time.  I was lucky enough to find one (because, it TOO is a very much desired vehicle, and the dealers cannot keep them on the lots).

So now that I'm an "SUV owner", I think...at some point, vehicles that we categorize as SUV should actually be categorized something else.  I mean, SUV is short for "Sport Utility Vehicle", yet we group all of these super-sized land yachts into the same group as my little all-wheel-drive Forester, the Kia Sportage, and even the Honda Pilot.  All of these I have named are small, sporty, and are still capable of being a tool with their spacious insides and ability to tow within reason once the proper equipment is installed.  Sure, I understand they are "Crossover SUVs"...but come on.  What is "sporty" about a Ford Excursion, a Chevy Suburban, a GM Yukkon, or any other various land yacht!  You don't call a yacht a sport boat, now do you?

I've decided these should be called LUVs...Large Utility Vehicles...especially fitting, since drivers of these monstrosities LUV (aka love) their over-sized, road-hog vehicles that can't even fit into a normal parking space and use as much gas as they possibly can!  My list of LUVs would include:

Ford Expedition
Ford Excursion
Chevy Suburban
Chevy Tahoe
GM Yukkon
Cadillac Escalade

Basically, any SUV-like larger vehicle with a V-8 (because you need that much to pull that much excess weight around town) getting 15 or less mpg should be called an LUV!  Leave SUV those vehicles which are actually "sporty"...the ones that dart around town with 4-cylinder or modest 6-cylinder engines getting gas mileage of 17 mpg or better.

That's my wandering mind for today...oh, and businesses really need to stop blaring the A/C!  Save some money!  There is no reason to keep it 60-something degrees in an office or store.  I mean, retailers...if you want to keep me in your store longer and get more money, make it so that I don't feel a relentless urge to go outside to thaw out!  This even goes for the hottest of summer days...when the 105 degrees outside looks good because I'm shivering and my lips are turning blue, you aren't going to get me to stay in your store very long.  A reasonable 70-something, please!