Wednesday, March 7, 2012

When Is " Funny" Not Funny?

The daughter of a friend of mine posted a "fat" joke to Facebook today. She then got upset when others were offended by it...telling us we needed to chill the eff out...that if one can't laugh at one's self, someone else HAS to!

I'm at the end of my weight loss journey...down 65lbs and 13 sizes! I still have some body issues...my tummy is puffier than I would like and I have some extra skin that I'm beginning to think will never go away. Yes, I poked fun at myself...and myself ONLY...when I was heavy...it was my right and I was trying to hide all the hurt I really felt inside.

This girl has never been heavy a day in her life, though she often tries to say she is fat (at a size 2...she's fat). She doesn't know the real struggles...the health issues, being tired all the time, never finding clothes you like in your size, etc.  She has no place to joke about the subject!

Bottom line, jokes about weight, appearance, race, religion, etc. are uncool...and anyone who feels otherwise needs to wake up to reality! These types of jokes are a form of bullying...they do hurt people! People should have thicker skin, one may say? In response, I say people should simply have more respect for others!!!