Friday, July 9, 2010

Geezzz...The Cell Phone Has Really Come A Long Way!

Saw this article on CNN today:

Inventor of the Cell Phone: We Knew Someday Everyone Would Have One

I remember the first cell phones!  They were so expensive, but being a "tween" to teen at the time, I thought they were amazing!!  Cell phones and car phones!  I promised myself that one day I would have one or the other!!  I mean, back then, they were so expensive...about $5,000 to buy one, and that wasn't even covering the "service plan"!!  But they were very cool, and I was sure that I was going to be that important when I grew up!

I finally got one in 1999...an old Motorola flip phone!  One would look back now, and think it was the most primitive, bulky, ugly thing on the planet...but I loved my phone!  It meant that I didn't have to sit around the house waiting for that one phone call that was either my ex-husband finally saying he wanted to see his son (and he always got mad if I was not home to answer his call), or a new job opportunity...or even a friend that I hadn't heard from in a long time who decided to call!  Nope...I quickly got call forwarding on my land line, and forwarded my calls to my new cell phone...and off I went!  Took the kids for a day at the park, ice cream, shopping at the mall...whatever our hearts desired!

Today, I have an iPhone...a personal computing device, camera, mp3 player, and phone that all fits in the palm of my hand!!  Not only do I not have to sit home and wait for a phone call, but I can get directions to that new mall that opened up, take pictures of my children (now adults or near adults) doing something crazy, and then email those pictures straight to my mom in a matter of minutes, all while having access to some of my music!  Boy, how far have we come!!!