Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Damn you, Apple!

Damn you, Apple!!! Damn you...damn you!!!

I'm not sure how many of you know, I'm into photography.  My dad has always said I have this natural eye, and my ability to figure things out technical allow me to effortlessly manipulate my beautiful Canon! I don't think I ever shoot in anything but manual...always tinkering with the ISO, shutter speed, the f-stops, etc. as I find the right balance to get the picture I want, without having to go in and edit on the computer (I HATE editing). But, that big bad boy of a camera is not something I carry with me everywhere, all the time...and if something catches that eye that my dad loves, I will pull out my phone and capture it!

Well, I had an iPhone 7...not the Plus...just the regular old 7. I was pretty happy with it....UNTIL...this iPhone 7 Plus that work got me came in. Some of you may know...the 7 has a single camera, the Plus has a double. This allows more depth and such to be captured, and allows for the BEAUTIFUL portrait mode. I had myself convinced the camera couldn't possibly be THAT much better. I was up for an upgrade, but eh...didn't see the iPhone 8 or the iPhone X as worth getting the upgrade, and starting my NEXT payments over. Then, I took a picture of my cat in portrait mode!




I realized, sadly, that I had been wrong! The camera was THAT much better on the Plus! I ended up going down the the store, and getting that new phone...and iPhone 8 Plus! Why not the X? I mean, it is the latest and greatest, right?! I could not justify the extra $200 for 1) facial recognition that I don't quite trust yet, because the technology is too new; 2) portrait mode on the front "selfie" camera, as I prefer to be behind the camera; and 3) an edge to edge screen that is basically not a big deal to me, since I usually get cases that have a "lip" that allows me to put my phone face down and not scratch. Sure, the X is smaller...more like the 7 I'm used to...but the 8 was definitely the better deal. So yeah...I did a thing! First test will be the They Might Be Giants concert I'm going to tomorrow, since my previous phones have only been okay in concert settings.